Monday, August 4, 2014

My Chicken Beginning

I bought my first set of chickens back in 2009 from an elderly woman in our area who had an incubator made from an old dresser in her basement. My sister and I picked out eight of the chicks that we thought were the cutest.
 
We hadn't brought any thing with us to take them home in, so the lady gave us a brown paper bag to bring them home in. The paper bag just happened to come from Kentucky Fried Chicken.
 
 
She gave us instruction to care for the chickens and we headed home, KFC bag in hand.
We didn't know what we were getting in to...
 
 
We picked up a bag of chick starter and some feeders at a local farm supply store and made a makeshift brooder out of a cardboard box.

 
I have learned so much in the last five years about poultry farming and I continue to learn something new every day. I now own over seventy chickens and three ducks.
I got my own incubator for Christmas and hatched around thirty chicks last year.
I sell farm fresh eggs to locals I call it The Pioneer Girl Farm.
 
 
I'm Ramona,  thank you so much for stopping by and I hope you enjoy my stories of farming.
Have a great day and God bless. 

2 comments:

  1. Way to go, Pioneer Girl! Your 7-year-old fan, Belen, says HI. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is sweet! I, too have a chicken story--as a 3-year-old who robbed the nest to 'look' at the new chicks. The mother hen flattened me and scared me to death. I haven't really loved being around chickens (or birds) ever since. My sister who witnessed the humiliation is also freaked out about birds and chickens. From time to time, I wish I could own some chickens--to have fresh eggs, and the wonderful gardening fertilizer they make...then I remember I'm scared to death of chickens. Ah well.

    ReplyDelete